The painful truth:
Easy reading is damned hard writing.
–Maya Angelou, attributed to Nathaniel Hawthorne*
You don’t have to spend your time on the hard part; I thrive on making text easier to understand. The best part of my job is knowing I’ve helped users find what they need – and understand what they find.
Web writing and editing
Do you want to
- Reduce the number of phone calls your staff have to field?
- Reduce the number of emails you have to respond to?
- Help guide your customers to the information they need?
I can help. I’ll work with you to examine the content you have, determine what pieces are missing, and create a stronger site with clear architecture, clear copy and clear links.
Whether your customer is coming to your site to answer a question, complete a process or just find general information, my goal is to create content that helps users succeed.
Other writing and editing
While my primary focus is on web content, I’m happy to help you with other editorial projects. My interests and skill sets are varied – I have worked or volunteered on projects that include
- plain language for legal writing (Alberta Justice Communications)
- literary magazines (Whetstone Magazine)
- fiction and non-fiction (NeWest Press – see proofreading portfolio)
Other areas of special interest
- comic books
- bowling (especially 5-pin)
- games of all kinds:
- board games
- role-playing games
- video games
If you’ve got a project involving one of these areas, I’d love to hear from you.
*Of course, the truth is always more complicated – read Quote Investigator’s fascinating research on this quote.