With 10 years of experience in government communications, including 5 as the coordinator of the main Government of Alberta website, I have gathered a wealth of experience in making online government information accessible for citizens.
Government of Alberta
I was responsible for maintaining and updating the content of alberta.ca, including:
- selecting news to feature on the home page
- repurposing print content for the web
- updating emergency information during large-scale natural disasters (forest fires, flooding)
- creating microcontent
- curating useful content from across government
The following examples of my work are available courtesy of the wonderful Wayback Machine.
Home page feature stories and news focus items
Feature stories were generally news releases repurposed for the web. In some cases, information from several news releases was incorporated into a single feature story.
- Post-secondary review results announced
- Provincial strategy aims to prevent strokes and improve treatment
- Alberta welcomes the 2004 Arctic Winter Games
- Before and after flooding
- Current fire hazard restrictions
News focus items collected several related feature stories in one place to help Albertans track more complex issues.
In addition to feature stories, I also wrote the microcopy for each story and for the spotlight section of the Government of Alberta home page.