I have 9 years of experience working with post-secondary institutions, primarily helping prospective students
- make the important decision of where to apply
- learn what they need to apply
- complete the necessary processes to become a student and register in courses
I have also created a variety of content for current students, staff and stakeholders.
I worked with Athabasca University to create
- new content for their main corporate site
- detailed program descriptions for their undergraduate and graduate programs
- new content for their Research Centre site
In addition to creating significant new content for the Prospective Students (Discover AU), Admissions and Current Students sections of the site, I worked directly with the User Experience and Front End Development Lead to strengthen the information architecture for these areas.
Early analytics on the project showed
- increased views of key tuition and fees pages
- reduced views of contact and search pages
Work samples – before and after
Click the image to enlarge.
Kim and I worked together on redeveloping the content and structure of the Athabasca University institutional website, resulting in impressive increases in engagement and enrolment rates. The new content demonstrably contributed to that success.
Working from a template designed by the User Experience and Front End Development Lead, I wrote detailed program descriptions for 58 undergraduate programs and 24 graduate programs.
These program descriptions brought together information that was previously spread out across three separate sites (faculty or program websites, the online calendar and separate program learning outcome pages). The result gave prospective students a single location for detailed program information and a consistent voice across all program descriptions.
- Master of Health Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Canadian Studies
- University Certificate in Human Resources and Labour Relations
Research Centre site
I wrote or revised 77 pages of content, including user walkthroughs for AU’s Research Portal, as part of an existing content strategy project. As part of the content development, I also recommended changes to information architecture.
This project reduced the page count of the original Research Centre site by 11%.
Work sample – user walkthrough
As the Senior Web Writer at NAIT, I worked with internal clients and team members to provide web content that was compelling, informative and accessible.
I was responsible for overseeing the maintenance of all content on nait.ca, including
- writing new content
- editing submitted web content
- creating microcontent
- consulting with clients on content development
- meeting clients’ content needs while aligning with the NAIT brand and NAIT web style
- providing one-on-one web writing coaching
I also created or edited all the initial content for the following school sites:
- JR Shaw School of Business
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Hospitality and Culinary Arts
- this site won our team a gold CASE (Council for Advancement and Support of Education) award in 2010
Please note that some of the above school names have changed due to restructuring – these were the names at the time I worked with them.